Welcome to the official site of KewlMCserver (KMCS)!

Best Minecraft, Tekkit, Snapshot, Terrafirmacraft and B-Team Servers in the known Multiverse....he said modestly

Forums

Forum Home > Announcements > ANNOUNCE: Rewards and Prizes

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Rewards and Prizes!

Ok, we have a very serious problem here.

Out of the 60 registered members and perhaps 20 - 30 who could be called "frequent visitors" only a number countable on 1 hand seem to post often and with reasonable quality.

After some advice and deliberation, I have decided to remedy this situation.....by......bribing you....

I have diamonds and iron ingots burning a hole in my pockets and I want to share it with you!!!

How Hank?

Well....by awarding prizes to the most active members and fining/jailing the least active members.

Stick and carrot approach.

3 ways you can be judged....

A) "Most active forum poster",

B) "Video made with the greatest number of views"

and

C) "Most new people referred".

To make it fair there will be 5 prizes for A and B, and they'll be awarded every week.

The 5 very worst in any given week will also be recorded and will be fined $10,000 each. If they don't have that or don't want to pay, then they have to spend 10 minutes in jail.

We have 2 jails now and about 6 cells between them, so it's no bluff :>

....Or they can do mix of fine and jail.

The Winners will only be eligible under these conditions....

A)

Forum Posting...

First Prize- must post average of 5 times a day or more (35 in a week)

Prize = 10 diamonds

Second Prize- must post average of 3 times a day or more (21 in a given week)

Prize = 5 diamonds

Third Prize- must post on average at least once a day (7 in a week)

Prize = 1 diamond

#4- must post on average at least 3 times in a week

Prize = 10 iron ingots

#5- must post on average at least 2 times in a week

Prize = 5 iron ingots

A "week" is 7 days (herp!) and starts on a Monday at 00:00 GMT.

Posts can include new threads. This may quickly become a necessity once existing threads have been done to death.

Also it should go without saying, that posts/threads must be of quality. This is determined by me, but I will likely conferr with other judges, likely to be other SeniorAdmins.

So.....get posting, get making new threads, make them count and enjoy your diamonds!

Let me warn you though....you post 100 garbage posts/threads in a week hoping to win and you're more likely to be blocked from posting or even thrown off site altogether, so MAKE THEM COUNT. QUALITY IS A MUST.

B)

Now....for videos....same thing. 5 top prizes.

The winners are decided by how many views your video gets.

Yes, you can have multiple videos, but their viewing numbers are judged independently.

The only criteria for entry is that each of the videos must get at least 1000 views in a given week. How you do it? I don't really care......uhm, just try to keep yourself out of jail (IRL).

First Prize = 10 diamonds

Second Prize = 5 diamonds

Third Prize- 3 diamonds

#4 = 2 diamonds

#5 = 1 diamond

There's no punishment here, no 5 worst recorded with punishments, only the top 5.

C)

FINALLY.....prizes for member referral.

Ok, how this works is, I basically bribe you to get new people here.

All they have to do is say you referred them and you're rewarded.

No top 5 prizes here, yet, but a reward for each and every person you refer.

How much? 5 diamonds for each new person.

Some examples; you tell 3 people, you got 15 diamonds, whatever, nice and simple....you get clever/creative and make an awesome video saying something in the credits like, "MENTION GEEGAVID2 WHEN JOINING" and 80 people do it, then, lol, well....you get the idea....HOWEVER....the new people must join properly.

This means they come to website, click the Register Instructions tab, read it, follow those instructions.

So basically they register properly and make a new forum thread introducing themselves, they also need to stick around for a day or 2 before I give the reward. What happens if they leave after that? Well, that's my problem. Hopefully they won't. BUT....if they stay, they could make a fine addition to your town.

And remember Towny automatically rewards you with more land claims the more populated your town is. I may later on award prizes for things like biggest town etc etc

When does this all start?

Next Monday, because....

1) Remember that's when a "week" starts

2) It'll give you a few days to make your vid, good luck getting 1000+ views that fast though :P

3) It'll give us time to prepare for this insane experiment; discuss any flaws, changes to the plan etc etc

4) You get some time to warm-up with posting :P

Ok, so now, I'm gonna need a few volunteers to help with this. :D

I volunteer all SeniorAdmins, Admins and possibly SeniorMods as and when required :>

We could do with some PHP scripts / mySQL database *looks at Elite* to keep track of all this and post it all in realtime to site....beats pen and paper, or maybe a spreadsheet, whatever...

DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to amend or cancel any or all of this plan with as much or as little warning as I want.

TL;DR? If that's how you feel; this server isn't for you, go away.

Comments?

Edit: No punishment system for bad posters ATM.

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

• KMCS Minecraft-Bukkit server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net
  • KMCS Minecraft-Tekikt server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:25000
  • KMCS VST (Snapshot) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:26000
  • KMCS TFC (Terrafirmacraft) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:27000
  • KMCS Attack of the B-Team Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:28000

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

[Social Media: socialmedia.kewlmcserver.net]

Enjoying yourself here?  mcreviews.kewlmcserver.net

Donate / Get something kewl

Got an idea, a suggestion, a problem?  Click to let us know :)

Regards, Hank :)

February 21, 2012 at 1:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Oh, and before I forget I increased the diamond sell price from 230 to 450.  Enjoy :)

Also, I added a bunch of new forum sections so there's no excuse not to post. :D

Am also taking suggestions for even more forum sections we could add.

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

February 21, 2012 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

TL;DR

jk, but uh...hmm, diamonds don't really do it for me, unless its IRL. However I'll still do what I do, and i'll help of course. :)

February 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Judging by your avatar you're, "too pretty for jail", best not fall into "worst 5 forum posters" distinction :D

But seriously I get the feeling some ppl a week Monday will be in for a rude awakening I.e. the ppl who never come here and thus didn't even red this.  Also wondering if 10 minutes is enough :>

Also who is eligible out of those 60 members considering how many left months ago?

--

February 21, 2012 at 2:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Also wondering if we should let donators opt out of whole "jail for insufficient posting" thing....?

Which reminds me, how should we do the points system for donators anyway? :/

You seemed to have some ideas about this Vashal...?

--

February 21, 2012 at 4:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Something else I'm thinking about is rewarding ppl with real $ if the person you referred donates/upgrades or whatever.  So you have an incentive not only to bring people to the server/site but to get them donating.  I'm thinking 30% would be a reasonable fee.  Meaning if they donate $10 for example, you'd get $3 for referring them, and perhaps encouraging them to donate etc.  People could setup Paypal accts so I could send their earnings to them or I guess I could also send by cheque... :/

Also it could start a dialogue about what exactly we should give donating members.  I notice how few ppl have commented about the newish Donate page or the changes made to the Upgrades page.  This server doesn't run on oxygen :(

--

February 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Vashal at February 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM

TL;DR

jk, but uh...hmm, diamonds don't really do it for me, unless its IRL. However I'll still do what I do, and i'll help of course. :)

How about 30% of every donation that comes from someone you referred here? :P

--

February 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

Hankscorpiouk at February 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Something else I'm thinking about is rewarding ppl with real $ if the person you referred donates/upgrades or whatever.  So you have an incentive not only to bring people to the server/site but to get them donating.  I'm thinking 30% would be a reasonable fee.  Meaning if they donate $10 for example, you'd get $3 for referring them, and perhaps encouraging them to donate etc.  People could setup Paypal accts so I could send their earnings to them or I guess I could also send by cheque... :/

Also it could start a dialogue about what exactly we should give donating members.  I notice how few ppl have commented about the newish Donate page or the changes made to the Upgrades page.  This server doesn't run on oxygen :(

So what your saying it, I should contact all my friends, get them to play, get them to spend all there life savings for, so i can steal 30%?....deal. jk jk jk, but idk how this would work, besides, if someone had two accounts, they could just donate on one, that was refered by the other, and get a 30% discount basically on donating

February 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Vashal at February 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Hankscorpiouk at February 21, 2012 at 4:47 AM

So what your saying it, I should contact all my friends, get them to play, get them to spend all there life savings for, so i can steal 30%?....deal. jk jk jk, but idk how this would work, besides, if someone had two accounts, they could just donate on one, that was refered by the other, and get a 30% discount basically on donating

Nah, anything above $5, maybe $10, maybe 20, whatever they think it's worth.

Hmmm, you make a valid point about the 2 accounts.....thing is....first they'd need to have 2 accounts, how many people do?  And doing it just for this wouldn't make much sense at all (another 20 Euros for MC).  But even if they did, we'd see the same IP address being used on 2 different names :)

Basically, the way you got Drin0 and JustinCox playing here, but instead more formal.....so when they first arrived they would have said...."Vashal said I should play here", or they'd just put your name in a referrers box in the sign-up form or something.  Then IF, they ever donated, I would arrange to get 30% of that, no matter how much it was back to you (probably by Paypal) for getting them here in the first place.  Any clearer? :P

So let's say you DID recruit the whole planet and their dogs lol....you spend a few months getting 100 people here, in whatever ways you deem fit, and let's say, only 10 - 15 donate....maybe $100 between them.....that would mean I'd owe you $30.  The current system == no financial reward for brining people here.  And probably the same with most servers, but I'm in a SERIOUS hurry to grow the servers population and cover the monthly costs, but without screaming DONATE!!!!! every 5 seconds at the current members and pissing them off.

--

February 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Of course the 30% thing is just one aspect of this thread.  There's also the diamond rewards to encourage much more use of the forums, I mean the silence in here is ridiculous, then there's encouraging ppl to make awesome vids hopefully of awesome stuff they make, which could help attract more new people.

Take that Nyan-cat piston video on Youtube for example, it's a very simple video but of an amazing contraption.  IDK how many hundreds of thousands of views it's got so far, but even if only 1% of the viewers tried to get in that server it's still some pretty serious numbers, some pretty awesome publicity, wouldn't you say?

--

February 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

As far as videos go, me especially, I have nothing built to show off. I need to first come up with a plan, sketch out ideas, scan it, minecraft outline a general shape or plan. Then i pick a pallet of blocks to use for it, then work on the larger sections first, finishing the finer areas after. That takes time. But i promise to make videos after, maybe i'll even talk in them....IDK what i'll do.

February 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Elite6809

Is someone looking at me?

If you need me to write a PHP thing with stuff and other assorted whatnot, just tell me the info you'd need in a column and other capabilities you'd expect from it.

February 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

I like the idea, but I am not in for the rewards . This will get people using the forums yes, but it comes with a problem. The recent forum post thing on the right hand side of the website holds 5 forums. I personnally only read those forums unless I have something to say, where I will search for the other.

Like you said hank, who will we have involved? If people have quit, then surely they will just be fined, and they will not know or be affected.

--

Role on KewlMCServer: Admin and CHD (Chief Hole Digger)

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

kewlmcserver.webs.com/apps/members/

February 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

swordmaker2

I think that punishing is a bit harsh. Say I go on a vacation or something, i don't want to be put in jail for not being active.

--

****************************************************************************************************

There are 10 type of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

February 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

Well, if you say in advance that you are on holiday, we will know why you are not on.

--

Role on KewlMCServer: Admin and CHD (Chief Hole Digger)

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

kewlmcserver.webs.com/apps/members/

February 21, 2012 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Vashal at February 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

As far as videos go, me especially, I have nothing built to show off. I need to first come up with a plan, sketch out ideas, scan it, minecraft outline a general shape or plan. Then i pick a pallet of blocks to use for it, then work on the larger sections first, finishing the finer areas after. That takes time. But i promise to make videos after, maybe i'll even talk in them....IDK what i'll do.

How about something to rival this....

how hard can it be? lol *jk*

I was thinking perhaps something to show off the Spout stuff like coloured/stained glass, pavemetns/roads, coalblocks, redstone blocks etc.

My suspicion is that only a tiny amount of the community know anything about Spout, so seeing these kinds of things might pique their interest.  It seems there are very few Spout-related vids on YT at the moment, so making them now would give us a bit of an edge IMO.

Talking in them, sure why not?  This could work especially well for tutorial vids.  Did you see the updated Outstanding Tasks List under the Staff Stuff tab?  I added a few tutorial suggestions there....one I think you'd be perfect for, check it out :)

--

February 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Elite6809 at February 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Is someone looking at me?

If you need me to write a PHP thing with stuff and other assorted whatnot, just tell me the info you'd need in a column and other capabilities you'd expect from it.

I've made a list of about 5 tables so far, specifically for this kind of thing, but not got as far as the specific SQL queries or PHP stuff.  I miss messing about with these things lol, primary keys etc haha

Only problem is once you start making tables you just wanna continue adding more and more to record and work on pretty much everything that happens.

Also the problem of knowing where to draw the line between what should be a field in a table and what really is only appropriate as the result of a query and doesn't need to be specifically recorded.  I'll see where this goes over next few days and let you know what I decide :)

--

February 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Fabregas485 at February 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I like the idea, but I am not in for the rewards . This will get people using the forums yes, but it comes with a problem. The recent forum post thing on the right hand side of the website holds 5 forums. I personnally only read those forums unless I have something to say, where I will search for the other.

Like you said hank, who will we have involved? If people have quit, then surely they will just be fined, and they will not know or be affected.

Well, some members are very good, concientous posters like your good self, but others, well, without mentioning any names, it can be like pulling teeth getting them to the site.  So I figured this might help, rather than constantly nagging/pressurizing them.  That way, if they want diamonds, they know how to get them.

Yep, you're right about the recent posts thing, and it's even worse than you say.  It's 4 not 5 things :o lol.  That's why I made the Recent Forums thread and was obsessively bumping it, but that's not really sustainable, so decided on making a nrew page and Tab for it (RFP) on the navbar.  Thing is despite there being about 33 threads in there, I'm running about 25 behind where it should be now.  Maybe having someone manage this for me would help until I can sort all the database/mySQL stuff out and just automate it all.  Also do people really want to scroll through a list of dozens and dozens of things or do they prefer some context to it all?  Maybe the list split into categories etc?

Yeah, I was only gonna involve the people I considered active ATM.  And at the start of the week publish a list of "participant names".  Thats about 20 out of the 62 people in the members page here...it'd be stupid to fine/jail people who haven't been here for months lol.  But I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about the whole "punishment" thing.

--

February 22, 2012 at 8:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

swordmaker2 at February 21, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I think that punishing is a bit harsh. Say I go on a vacation or something, i don't want to be put in jail for not being active.

Yeah as Fab says you could warn us in advance, which I EXPECT from Mods and Admins, and even say so in the JM application form.  Fair enough.  But I think expecting Regulars, VIPs, Donators etc to do that is probably unreasonable, they'd say they should  be able to come and go as they please without reporting it.

Am starting to have 2nd thoughts about the whole punishment thing TBH.  Hopefully if we make sure that 1) Everyone knows there's a website 2) Everyone know it's critical to the server and everyone is supposed to contribute 3) Everyone has a thread that's of interest to them (why I'm adding new forums all the time - and taking suggestions for more)  4) Hopefully greed for diamonds/iron etc will motivate :P

Also, just because someone is in the bottom 5 doesn't mean they're a bad poster, especially if suddently everyone went nuts posting all the time, dramatically raising the bar.

--

February 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

I've decided to reward for a few more basic things....

1) Most quality pics uploaded to Gallery

2) Most quality vids uploaded to YT/linked here via Gallery.

3) Most "Suggestion Forms" used, to, uhhh, make quality suggestions.

Also things like "Special Bonuses", for example, big prizes for people who are in the Top 5 ten times, or people who are awarded First Prize for something 5 times, or a "Hatrick" prize for someone who gets awarded first prize 3 times in a row! :)

Bunch of other stuff too.

I haven't decided about the rewards for the above yet however.  Feedback welcome, as always :)

I also wanna add a Polls thing, so you guys can actually vote on not just what we do, what direction we go in etc, but also things like "Best screenshot", "Best video" awards and stuff :D

--

February 22, 2012 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

918 views - 0 comments
1363 views - 0 comments