Welcome to the official site of KewlMCserver (KMCS)!

Best Minecraft, Tekkit, Snapshot, Terrafirmacraft and B-Team Servers in the known Multiverse....he said modestly

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > PABprep / Getting Show on the Road

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

PAB (Pre Advertising-Blitz) Preparation

I was gonna CC this to all Mods, Admins and VIPs, then to put it in a blog.  Finally decided here would be best place for it.  I think everyone should be able to see it.

I've written this list as a way for us to deal with a possible large influx of new members as efficiently as possible and have loads of systems in place ready for them, as well as taking the server into a very high-growth trajectory.

I've tried to do it in order of priority too.

WHEN they come pouring in; we don't want to be overwhelmed with questions etc, we don't want mods or admins having nervous breakdowns, we don't want to be unable to deal with troublemakers (GJ on jail Geega :)) or have to go to extremes like banning. Also we don't want them coming in, then immediately leaving again.

What we need is to reel them in within seconds of them landing on the server OR the website so that the longer they stay, the more compelled they are to stay even longer.

And so on. And to do this as efficiently as possible.

To this end the server-spawns and site need to be designed to provide an optimal first introduction to the newcomer. We grab their attention and refuse to give it back.

Here is what I think we need to do before going on big advertising effort (hence the thread title)....

Feel free to suggest any changes, additions, removals, anything, to the list below that you think might help with the above. Also feel free to volunteer to do any of these task.

Thanks, Hank.

PS this isn't a formal Job List just a rough outline of what needs to be done, the exact tasks are under "Staff Stuff" in the Navbar (the green links above) and are about to get another 40 exact, specific things added to that table.

1  Place a few awesome custom portals at public/admin projects (Mongspawn, Tealhouse, PVParena etc)-

everyone is used to square or round portals but how many are used to custom ones, ones that look so awesome they literally leave newcomers breathless? :)

I was thinking we could have some filled with water that perhaps people have to swim through, and of course ones that ppl can drop through.

2 Set jails up properly- at the moment the jail IS built and the 3 cells are warps (Darkcell, Darkcell2 and some othe cell), but using /jail won't put anyone there, I think.

3 Polish up Mongspawn, (ESP with info) and nearby areas, also any other areas we plan on using as spawns. Remember we're using MultiSpawn now.

4 Get more members to write testimonials, so that new people see how much you like the server. If you don't like the server, or don't like it enough to write a testimonial then tell us why and we'll fix it.

5 Legal / T&C Page- I figure something like this will be needed if people start sending money for donations or whatever, to pay the server bills.

6 Bugs / stability-

this goes without saying. ATM it's really not clear how I can give people emergency reboot powers, but if something like mcMyAdmin, Multicraft, SpaceBukkit etc can detect the

server crashing and auto-restart then maybe those emergency powers are less of a priority.

7 Shop prices finalized- Goddamn, only about 5 ppl have contributed to that thread that Teals and Vashal worked hard to start :(

Do we want an economy here or not?

8 JOIN US + Ack pages- a job probably purely for me. Somekind of nice Join Us form with a nice Thank You page when they're done. It could also have a bunch of useful links to bits of the sites....e.g. bits of Help menu, bits of About Us, Tutorial links etc.

9 Finish Admin duties Page- JMs pretty much know what's expected of them, but I've never formally defined this for Admins. *fail*

10 Promote KMCS Page- banners, tips etc- basically we put lots of stuff here that'll help ppl promote the server/site.

11 Website presentation clean-up- is it easy enough on the eye? Can you find what you need? Will new people be overwhelmed? Does it look cheap/amateurish? Could it look sexier (Flash stuff etc)?  Anyone good with Flash or web-design in general?

12 Staff Stuff Page? - I've still got a lot to add and clean up here, especially in the Jobs List / Outstanding Tasks Page.

13 Backup plugin- because I don't want to die if 50 people's map gets corrupted :)

14 Finalise Donations + VIP Upgrades approach- Vashal mentioned taking a different approach with this, and I tend to agree. Instead of x dollars for xyz commands, we give them "points" and they can redeem those for commands etc. But still far from fully resolved.

15 Ani-Gif(s)- kinda down the list of priorities but I feel the one on our About Us->Introduction Page needs updating so I've been taking screenshots of the most awesome things. Also, do we include pics of our old awesome stuff or just stuff that actually exists on this map?

16 FAQ- let's face it, it's a living Hell to read it as it stands, is it not?

Submit a question to FAQ link

New FAQ sections-

Additional Questions-

What is Spout and why should I care?

Why am I getting "region undefined"? Are you right-clicking with a wooden axe in hand?

Why am I being kicked with endofstream errors?

In-game->      

Mini-FAQ (perhaps this could be done with /bookworm and or /letter?)

What are the rules?

Where is Website?

Is there economy stuff here?

Who is owner?

What plugins do you have?

Is PvP allowed?

Who are admins?

Can I make a town?

Can I build and where?

Can I donate?

Can I be an Admin?

18 Website Tutorials-

Maybe something friendlier than "dumbassess" lol, but u get the idea :)

"Jar changing for dumbasses"

"Guide to getting fast-track to promotion for dumbasses"

Using SpoutCraft for dumbasses

Whatever

New forum sections?

VIP Upgrades / top-ups / points system?

As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.  The goal is to make the server awesome in every single respect and I can't do it alone.  The regulars who help could be rewarded with promotion etc, and everyone with rank is expected to help anyway.

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

• KMCS Minecraft-Bukkit server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net
  • KMCS Minecraft-Tekikt server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:25000
  • KMCS VST (Snapshot) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:26000
  • KMCS TFC (Terrafirmacraft) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:27000
  • KMCS Attack of the B-Team Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:28000

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

[Social Media: socialmedia.kewlmcserver.net]

Enjoying yourself here?  mcreviews.kewlmcserver.net

Donate / Get something kewl

Got an idea, a suggestion, a problem?  Click to let us know :)

Regards, Hank :)

February 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

I think we should try this in stages.

I think the 2 main problems atm bugs and the website.

Website= The tabs need to be re done. The competition tab is broken (try it and see). I think the tabs we need are: Home, Forum, Gallery, Testimonials, Help, Rules, Contact us, Donate, Admin Page etc

Bugs= I have no idea how we could do about looking for bugs. Maybe re add the plug ins 1 by 1 to see which ones are causing a problem etc.

--

Role on KewlMCServer: Admin and CHD (Chief Hole Digger)

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

kewlmcserver.webs.com/apps/members/

February 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Fabregas485 at February 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I think we should try this in stages.

I think the 2 main problems atm bugs and the website.

Website= The tabs need to be re done. The competition tab is broken (try it and see). I think the tabs we need are: Home, Forum, Gallery, Testimonials, Help, Rules, Contact us, Donate, Admin Page etc

Bugs= I have no idea how we could do about looking for bugs. Maybe re add the plug ins 1 by 1 to see which ones are causing a problem etc.

Would it be weird including vids under Gallery?

There's a Bugs Page under Staff Stuff :)

> Competitions tab

Should be fixed now

Edit: Yeah really need to further rationalize the Navbar, there's still 26 links/tabs up there, maybe a bit overwhelming?  Thing is all the links are relevant, or will be eventually...

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

February 12, 2012 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ZacharyS790

I don't know if this will help with server stability or anything, but I have been on servers that like every hour or half-hour the server annouced that it would be restarting, then it would restart automatically and everyone would be kicked and then have to get back on. I don't know if that would improve stability or just annoy people though, but it sounds like it would work for the most part. I don't know how to make that happen though, just suggestin ideas.

--

"There are two types of people in this world; those who can extrapolate from incomplete data."

February 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

ZacharyS790 at February 12, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I don't know if this will help with server stability or anything, but I have been on servers that like every hour or half-hour the server annouced that it would be restarting, then it would restart automatically and everyone would be kicked and then have to get back on. I don't know if that would improve stability or just annoy people though, but it sounds like it would work for the most part. I don't know how to make that happen though, just suggestin ideas.

Yep, that's certainly a possibilty.  Although I wouldn't do them more frequently than every few hours, otherwise I think it'd irritate people.

I'd only do that as a desperate last resort though, hopefully mcMyAdmin will be able to let the server run as long as it wants, then detect any crashes and automatically restart it.

But still, at the moment we're generally getting serveral hours of life from the server before it dies, but with the likes of Spout as it is, we'd probably be down to an hour or 2 again.  So we really need to find a solution to these Spout problems so I can put them back on.  It's such a strong selling point for the server IMO :)

--

February 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Also for Point #1 maybe we could add a custom portal to Skrillex?  Bascially anywhere that a brand new person can go to direct from one of the spawns and instantly be impressed :D

I should also add, about the custom portals we're using 2 plugins for that-

VoxelPort and WormholeXtreme.  So might be worth consulting their Wikis/Bukkit threads.

--

February 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

Sounds like a plan.

--

Role on KewlMCServer: Admin and CHD (Chief Hole Digger)

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

kewlmcserver.webs.com/apps/members/

February 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Bump

Anymore opinions?

--

February 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

This thread is very important, please contribute, even if just to ask me to clarify something.

--

February 13, 2012 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

geega17
With the portals, do you mean voxelport or stargate? and for the economy, maybe we should just make it sell-only except for iron, dimonds, redstone, gold, wool, etc?
February 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

We added WormholeXtreme, no Stargate here.

I think WhXt would be best for most people especially lower ranks, as it's easier to use and more reliable.  Even I have problems with VP.

However, people with access to VP can use it if they want (and can figure the damn thing out)....problem is it wouldn't be on the gate network for WhXt stuff if you see what I mean?

Agreed on economy stuff unless someone can think of good argument against?

--

February 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elite6809

I think we need to perhaps move to a brighter colour scheme or maybe even a totally different theme (or even hosting plan - some people might see the use of webs as unprofessional)

February 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Elite6809 at February 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I think we need to perhaps move to a brighter colour scheme or maybe even a totally different theme (or even hosting plan - some people might see the use of webs as unprofessional)

Some good points I think, but in the meantime, how would we get that CNAME stuff working you mentioned?  Does it mean ppl would put kewlmcserver.com in their browsers but come here?

--

February 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

850 views - 0 comments
1271 views - 0 comments