Welcome to the official site of KewlMCserver (KMCS)!

Best Minecraft, Tekkit, Snapshot, Terrafirmacraft and B-Team Servers in the known Multiverse....he said modestly

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Future / 1.2 Adaptation / Advertising

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

This is a really important discussion we need to have...

It's about 1.2 and the next few months of the server.

Specificially, in a few days (probably few weeks at the latest, 1.2 should be released), but as you all know by now it takes Bukkit weeks sometimes to catch-up with the latest Vanilla release.  1.2 will mean a brand new map, well, for playing 1.2 anyway.  1.1 can still be played on current map. 

Personally, I think it's a mistake to have nothing but Vanilla 1.2 for weeks or months, even if we do get jungles and ocelots yada yada yada.

So, I was thinking, how about having Vanilla 1.2 (when it's officially released - no, not the snapshot) most days, but for example having 1.1 Bukkit at the weekend (you decide the days if weekend isn't ideal).  So that means we get the brand new map features, but we don't have to lose out on all our sweet plugins.  Ideally we could run 2 servers at same time and you could switch between both whenever you wanted, but there isn't the money for that (and it'd take more than a few donations before you ask - but I'd be happy to do if the money was there) and there'd be too many empty, wasted slots right now.

So what do y'all think?  Also I think the idea could get people used to the idea that KMCS does different things depending on the day.  We could have special "themed days",  maybe a "Survival Island" thing or a Hardcore Mode (if possible) thing, or perhaps a pure PvP/war day, whatever.  But you get the idea.  Starting now/soon with a mix of 1.1 and 1.2 would, I think, get people used to this idea.  Opinions?

Also, this is very important to think about now, because of all the talk lately of making epic new spawns.  I'm reluctant to advocate massive amounts of effort like that in 1.2 vanilla because a) We won't have the plugins b) They'll be super-vunerable to griefing.  However, I think epic spawns could be just what we need to start making, you guessed, epic videos to begin serious promoting the server!

Of course, 1.2 means it'll be easier for new people to wander in.  No client upgrades/downgrades/sidegrades/lolwutgrades or any of that annoying stuff.  When they're in we can also say, "btw we also have a server armed to the teeth with plugins - it's up on Saturdays and Sundays!", or they might ask, WTH the epic spawns are that they saw in the vids that brought them over in the 1st place!

Finally; well, 2 things, 1st; evenutally, perhaps a few months away, 1.2 for Bukkit will be ready, but our 1.1 map won't work with it if we want jungles, ocelots etc.  What do we do then?  It kinda seems pointless to me to keep 1.1 alive just for the sake of our old builds.  I guess we could have the occassional "Nostalgia" "Themed Day" lol or something, where we play that.  Or we could have it 1 day per weekend, or 1 weekend per months.  What do y'all think on that issue too?

Finally finally; apart from making sweet things we can make vids of, and posting on forums, and adding KMCS to server lists like MineStatus etc, and telling ppl we know, and posting on FB etc, how else can we advertise the server?  Anyone have any really clever ideas of stuff maybe we haven't considered before?

In summary; 1.1 = Plugins/epic spawns/promotion/new people

1.2 = Epic new jungle biome/more new people

My suggestion = let's do both!

TL;DR - just read it you lazy %£^ - we need as many opinions and as much input as possible for so many things, it helps.  This is your server too!

PS if you don't want to post your opinions here, then feel free to PM me or the other staff or use the Contact Us form :)

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

• KMCS Minecraft-Bukkit server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net
  • KMCS Minecraft-Tekikt server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:25000
  • KMCS VST (Snapshot) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:26000
  • KMCS TFC (Terrafirmacraft) Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:27000
  • KMCS Attack of the B-Team Minecraft server IP: mc.kewlmcserver.net:28000

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

[Social Media: socialmedia.kewlmcserver.net]

Enjoying yourself here?  mcreviews.kewlmcserver.net

Donate / Get something kewl

Got an idea, a suggestion, a problem?  Click to let us know :)

Regards, Hank :)

February 9, 2012 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Also, the "Themed Days" would finally gives us a valid reason to make serious use of the Calender and Events link up there.  Ever noticed it?  lol.

I guess another use could be things like birthdays esp of staff members and donators (if they want the attention I mean).  To this end I suggest you setup Paypal accounts so you can accept payments from people.  Then on the Staff page or an improved version of the Members page people will be able to send gifts etc, should they want to.

--

Owner, CEO, Interim CTO, Chief Strategist, Main Stress Monkey of Hank's Kewl Minecraft Server (KMCS)...

---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===

[Website: kewlmcserver.net]   -  Site Map / Getting around: subdoms.kewlmcserver.net

February 9, 2012 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

geega17
This sounds awesome :D especially the pvp/war days :3 haha
February 9, 2012 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

I'm actually gonna make a "Suggest a Theme Day" form so ppl can suggest more stuff :)

--

February 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Birthday themes?  You have to split into teams of 3 and the team that makes the person the most cake at the end of the day wins?  :P *jk*

--

February 9, 2012 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mofocro

I vote for War Day :D

--

February 9, 2012 at 7:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

I like this idea for the future. But I hate to think what all new people will do. As much as you try to deny and look past it, half the people who will join are gonna be idiots, and won't know how to switch jars every so and so.

February 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Yerrr.....this is why I propose we make somekind of "For hardcore dummies tutorial(s)" on stuff like jar changing and put them under the Help menu :)

Am thinking pics/screenshots and all that stuff so even a monkey couldn't go wrong lol....Hell maybe even a vid explaining the process.

Am thinking we could also produce a batch / .bat file for changing the jars for them, automate the process :)

Also are there any other custom clients besides SpoutCraft?  Just wondering because it'd be awesome if selecting the client was as simple as selecting from a drop down list like it is with Spout.

--

February 9, 2012 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

*wonders if it's possible to install 2 Minecrafts on the same machine as it's just Java, no need to worry about all that DLL crap.....so u could have 2 shortcuts perhaps....1 pointing at the install with the 1.1 Jar and the other pointing at the one with the 1.2 jar*  Might be more convenient for some once it's initially setup?

--

February 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

Totally read something not to long ago about it...can't remember what it was called. 

--

February 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

My opinion:

When 1.2 is out we switch to it. I am sure we can live without plug ins for a while. Switching between 1.1 and 1.2 will begin to get annoying.

Theme days= lolz

--

Role on KewlMCServer: Admin and CHD (Chief Hole Digger)

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

kewlmcserver.webs.com/apps/members/

February 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vashal

You say that as a player more than a mod, the players can live without plugins but we had no plugins for like less than week, and that turned to hell. People were banned...there is nothing mods or admins can do but ban and kick while in vanilla which gives us no real options to deal with people. Not to mention griefing is possible, stealing is possible, and it'll all be a big mess.

--

February 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aaron DeWitt

I think without the proper plugins, going into 1.2 will be pure chaos. Espeically if we have alot more people coming in. 

As for the theme days. That might actually be pretty interesting. Could do a theme map once a week or so. And have a poll on which map the people want, or no theme at all for that week. But even for something like that we need more players.

If anyone has friends or know people who play minecraft, don't hesitate to ask them to play on this server. The more people we have coming in the better this server can function.

--

I'm TealsHusband

February 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

All I can really say is, what can we really do without any plugins with 1.2?

Either stay in 1.1 till the new bukkit is out OR go to 1.2 with a temp map till bukkit is out.

--

Please contact me if you have any problems/questions/ or would like a hole dug :P

February 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Did someone just volunteer to do a "for dummies" Jar-changing tutorial and/or write a .bat file for automating the process? :P

Please don't look at me, I'm drowning in tasks here :o

--

February 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

I may be able to get someone to knock up a .bat file for you.

--

February 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Fabregas485 at February 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I may be able to get someone to knock up a .bat file for you.

Awesomesauce :D

--

February 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fabregas485

My friend said he is not too good at .bat files.

Also something about illegal to transfer .bat files online

--

February 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Lol that's rubbish, batch files, shell scripts etc are perfectly legit, but whatever, let's not derail thread.

--

February 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hankscorpiouk
Site Owner

Am thinking of taking out a paid-ad once the main spawn's done.  Hate that it's come to that, but it might give us the much needed shot in the arm, and the server's bleeding red ink all over the place so an extra few dollars won't make any real difference.

Edit: Stupidly I've never really gone out of my way to learn this, but how did everyone discover KMCS in the first place?  Word of mouth?  Google?  A forum?  Something else?

Edit 2: although we might need other things in place / ironed-out besides the main spawn so we can potentially cope better with a sudden influx of new people....

--

February 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

849 views - 0 comments
1271 views - 0 comments