|Posted on December 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM|
I'll get the bad news out the way first. Brace yourselves (well, admins, doesn't really affect anyone else)....
There is a big chance we've lost the original map.
Not 100% sure yet, but it's not looking good.
I MIGHT be able to restore some stuff from Cuboids if any protected their stuff.
I personally protected the new spawn area quite extensively. Mong did you protect your Obama (?) thing? If so, I might be able to get them back and put on new map. If you don't care that's also fine.
Personally I don't really care about the new spawn, I think there's a lot we could improve about it anyway (see below). Even though it was good. But if you want me to spend time trying to get it back, I will. Something I am willing to offer is Admin promotion to Echo_215, as a lot of the work around spawn was done by you, and being an admin means you'll have access to Cuboid so could work much faster, either on something new, or trying to recreate the tunnels etc.
Enira was also recently promoted to Admin status. I guess Enira; you could create just 1 awesome tower, then clone it a few times with cuboid, so that should save some time. Also being Admin means you can just spawn whatever you need, if you prefer hand-placing your blocks and not using cuboid for building.
Mongfish was already Admin so can't really offer much consolation, sadly. If you think of something, let me know
I think you 3 were the only people besides me with a serious investment in that map, so between you decide how we should proceed and let me know please.
My own vision for the [new] spawn is something like this;
* Make it further out from land (it was too close to some (on the glass tunnel side) IMO).
* Make it less artificial-looking, so instead of a big rectangle we could make it look like a big rock in the water, "shapelier", and make it rise up quite a bit. Instead of being flat like a pancake.
* I still love the castle/towers idea. So we could put that ontop. But I think the surface area at the top should be bigger so there's plenty of space for "townsquare" (now courtyard) we had in the middle.
* We could continue with the jail cells me and EXX were starting in the basement. I also think somekind of modest bridge could come from one side of the island to the mainland, but it doesn't have to. I still think boats, portals and underwater/submerged tunnels are the best way to link to the rest of the map.
* Perhaps Enira you could continue with big ship idea and put that near island?
Something I strongly need to urge of all Admins and Gold/donating Mods is that you don't just cuboid protect your stuff, but also use the /csave /cload and /clist commands to create ondisk saves of your cuboids that you can then access at any time. This is just an added layer of protection if anything ever goes wrong with map again
Now some more positive developments;
Firstly; we have Hey0 mod back, yay!!!!!! That vanilla server was starting to really stress me out. No plugins, no protection, nothing. Is nice to be back to Hey0 / hMod
Second; I've got a load of plugins working, bunch of new /tips and closing in on fixing the difficult ones like iConomy etc. Am wondering if I should use MySQL version of it instead of the flatfile one.
Anyway; just write /help to see the extra commands you have now. And write /town ? to see syntax for creating towns.
Oh and /search is working finally
Anyway, let me know how we're proceeding with the map and direct new people here (the site and this blog).